So hey. New player.

Discuss Game Strategy Here.

So hey. New player.

Postby Vlynndar on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:02 pm

'Lo there, joined this game a day or two ago. It's now 587, and I founded the company in 582.

Just going to mention this game is pretty good. I'm surprised there are less than 700 players here.

And of course, I'm going to ask for tips. I read threads and am progressing nicely (yey newbie protection in a recession) with two stores and a factory and warehouse. I'm worth enough to get into heavy industry this month, so I am starting the production for the cans and bottles I need for my soup and wine, right after my supply contracts end. Started bottles already, cans will follow in seven hours.

This is the right way to go?

And a suggestion from someone quite new, but it might be fun to exploit mines and build farms for raw materials.

EDIT: And apparently my stock just split. Care to explain a little?

All the marketing knowledge I have comes from Dragon's Den...

EDIT 2: And what about inactive companies after a week? Will I be in trouble after I've been on holiday for two weeks in a few days?
Vlynndar

Re: So hey. New player.

Postby Kit on Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:08 pm

Vlynndar wrote:'Lo there, joined this game a day or two ago. It's now 587, and I founded the company in 582.

Just going to mention this game is pretty good. I'm surprised there are less than 700 players here.

We actually have about 90 active players (logged in within 48 hours) at the moment, but the game has only be on-line since last October. It's really existed in it's current form only for about 3 months. The veteran players can tell you how many changes I've introduced to improve game play.

The hardest thing to do on the Internet is get noticed, but I think I finally have an interesting base I can build this game on, and the advertising in the game is allowing me to advertise the game and keep our community growing at a pretty good pace. Right now the number of active players in doubling every 4-6 weeks.

And of course, I'm going to ask for tips. I read threads and am progressing nicely (yey newbie protection in a recession) with two stores and a factory and warehouse. I'm worth enough to get into heavy industry this month, so I am starting the production for the cans and bottles I need for my soup and wine, right after my supply contracts end. Started bottles already, cans will follow in seven hours.

This is the right way to go?

If I were starting out right now, I'd we watching the market and noticing that there are several heavy industry goods sitting at +30% price. This is due to the large demand the high level players are creating for theses goods. If you produce factories that make these goods you should make a very nice profit.

And a suggestion from someone quite new, but it might be fun to exploit mines and build farms for raw materials.

That's on the wish list, but it sufficiently different from what's in there currently that it will take some doing.

EDIT: And apparently my stock just split. Care to explain a little?

All the marketing knowledge I have comes from Dragon's Den...

A (2 for 1) stock split is your company giving one additional share to every shareholder of the stock. This causes the number of shares to go up by 2 and the value of each share to go down by 2. So if before you had 1,000,000 shares at $20 each after the split you have 2,000,000 shares at $10 each. Real companies do this to keep the share price in a range where "average" shareholders can still purchase their shares. This is why the price of a share of Coca Cola is still at around $50, because when the price of of shares goes too high they just split the stock. The last one happened in May of 1996. To see what happens when a successful company does not split there stock you can check out Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway which is currently trading at $91,000 a share.

In the game your company has shares of stock out, and the game automatically splits them to keep them always in the range of $10-20 per share. Over time due to splits you could have millions of shares outstanding.

For now it doesn't really matter all that much, but once you reach $250 Million in company value and get your $1,000,000 in personal funds to invest you can access the stock market and things will start to make more sense.

One of the things I'm trying to do with The Capitalist Game is introduce a bunch of people to how companies, markets, stock markets and the financial world work. Thus you will find that the Balance Sheets and Income Statements you see in this game look very similar to the Balance Sheets and Income Statements you'll find for public companies in the US. By learning to read them here and see what a healthy balance sheet looks like you'll learn some skills that may actually translate to the real world.

EDIT 2: And what about inactive companies after a week? Will I be in trouble after I've been on holiday for two weeks in a few days?

When your company goes inactive it stops updating, It as if your company is in suspended animation, game time goes by, but your company is not affected. When you get back from vacation just re-enable your company and pick up where you left off (or 1 week after you left off), but you get the idea.

If things go too wrong you can always reset your company and start over. With the experience you've gained, I'm sure you can do much better the 2nd time around.

-- Kit
Kit
Site Admin

Postby Vlynndar on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:23 pm

Great, thanks. If it's worth anything for you, (and I suppose you already know,) I came here via MSPaintAdventures. I could mention this game on the Dwarf Fortress forums, they might like it.

And thanks for the in depth answers, one of the reasons I decided to get into this game (and another) was that I'd understand trading like this better. It's working :D

It's also good to hear your company isn't deleted after a week, "Companies become inactive due to 7 days if inactivity." was a little vague. It was also hidden quite well, at the bottom of 'all active companies'.

Let me see what I can do with heavy industry now, then :D
Vlynndar

Postby Shad on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:34 am

Oh, hey, ditto on the MSPaintAdventures thing. That ad seems to be drawing in a few new players for you :)
Shad

Postby Kit on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:55 pm

Yea, 14 new players from that ad in about the last week.

Definitely one that's paid off :)

-- Kit
Kit
Site Admin

Postby Vlynndar on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:20 pm

I won't be able to put a project wonderful on the I mentioned, but you'll identify the Dwarf Fortran players by their tendencies to build magma towers and their deadly fear of carp.
Vlynndar

Postby Oso on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 am

Well Kit, if it helps you track your advertising, I got here from a link in a game named "Transporter Tycoon"
Oso

Return to Strategy