Divedends

Discuss Game Strategy Here.

Re: Divedends

Postby Morpheus on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:51 am

Raymond wrote:...
Porsche is an interesting case, being a luxury good, it did well during the boom economy, both the tech stock boom of the mid to late nineties and the real estate boom that followed. I understand that they were in negotiations to buy Volkswagon (one of the european car makers, I think it was volkswagon) at one point. Then the economy tanked, and they are in some trouble now. I believe that Volkswagon ended up buying them, in the end.
When you have a high paying job and want to show it off, buying an expensive car like a Porsche sounds like a good idea. When you are barely making payments for that expensive house/car/boat etc. and are trying to make ends meet, the luxury items like performance cars, yachts, and such tend to be amoung the first to get dropped.
Maybe the game can eventually include items that are more economy dependent at some point, like if we ever get an automotive production lines option, maybe have three different lines, a luxury car line that is heavily dependent on the economy, a family car line that is only somewhat, and a economy car line that isnt as profitable but has a nearly constant demand, mostly untouched by economic fluctuations.

Hm, in german its volkswagEn, which is quite a bit more than just VW. The Company VW bought some other manufacturers, and with their help bought some addidional ones^^. Today the concern (?) includes VW, Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Seat*,Skoda*,Bugatti, and the rights on others, like Horch(the expression horch is the german version of the latin audi, and was the first try of the man named horch, audi being the second).
* isnt sold in the us afaik

but essentially you are right. Porsches' shareholders are mostly members of the family of the founder Ferdinand Porsche, and the main player at VW is Ferdinand Piech and friends/allies/i dont know^^. Thats important because Porsche had 2 children, a boy who got his name, and a girl which upon marriage got the name Piech. but Ferdinand Piech and the current "head" of the "porsche clan" dont like each other, so the porsche family tried a "hostile" takeover... as you said the economy tanked and porsche had debts of 6-9 k millions, depending on whom you ask.

Now VW pays those debts by buying VW shares from the porsche company with the help of the arabian emirate Qatar (i thnik it is, not sure), which gets i think 25% of the new thing.

Anyway, the idea of splitting a production line in similar but during the ups and downs differently affected stuff is a good one, IF it's a) not confusing for new players or b) becomes available in lets say the 3rd run. 3rd, because in the 2nd run you already have to try and understand the thing with the stock market.

PS: but i think we left not only the topic of the thread, but are also in the wrong part of the forum^^

edit: i wrote this post at 4 am, and the whole thing is a bit confusing, since neither party wants to talk about it^^. The red parts are corrections and clarifications
Last edited by Morpheus on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people cause happiness WHEREVER they go; others WHENEVER they go

SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!!!
Excellent! Now we're able to attack in all directions...
Morpheus

Postby Raymond on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 pm

We definitely wandered a bit off topic.

I was only aware of the basics of the Porsche/Volkswagon setup because I read about it in the newspaper some months ago, I am not really very aware of the Buisness news most of the time.

The pattern so far is to add new product lines at the top end, so I suspect that any new player who can reach that high is either very lucky or knows what they are doing.
The game is currently set up where you can't have much over 25Billion in production and sales equipment before the taxes eat more than the extra buildings earn. That number is based on a normal/recession leveling up to lvl 5 of around 30 appliance lines, if you managed to do it in a Panic, its more like 15 or 20 Billion.
I would hope that a new line like automobiles would have a higher base expense, with a chance to make a bigger profit.
Raymond

Postby Morpheus on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Raymond wrote:We definitely wandered a bit off topic.

I was only aware of the basics of the Porsche/Volkswagon setup because I read about it in the newspaper some months ago, I am not really very aware of the Buisness news most of the time.

The pattern so far is to add new product lines at the top end, so I suspect that any new player who can reach that high is either very lucky or knows what they are doing.
The game is currently set up where you can't have much over 25Billion in production and sales equipment before the taxes eat more than the extra buildings earn. That number is based on a normal/recession leveling up to lvl 5 of around 30 appliance lines, if you managed to do it in a Panic, its more like 15 or 20 Billion.
I would hope that a new line like automobiles would have a higher base expense, with a chance to make a bigger profit.

but adding something just below, or better equal to, appliances, like computers, might spread the source material needs of the game.

atm everybody wants to get to those apps, which 1) causes the sales to be lower than they could be and 2) increases the price of steel, electric engines etc. quite a bit. We already have LCD panels, video cards, batteries, cpus and memory chips.. now we just need 4 things. 1) mainboard 2) a tower or notebook case 3) an assembling line and 4) a store.

say aer good prices limited? because the car stuff WILL rise steel through the roof. a washing machine needs lets say 20 kg steel, a car 300 to 500 for the chassis, then the engine (200-300 kg), the underbody and stuff for at least also 500 kg.......

i know parts of it can be replaced with alu, but that reduces the weight of the chassis about 100 - 200 kg, but is trickier to assemble, because you cant weld alu if theres oxygen, so you need a special sorrounding, and you also need special welding tools, like Mg (chemical symbol).
Some people cause happiness WHEREVER they go; others WHENEVER they go

SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!!!
Excellent! Now we're able to attack in all directions...
Morpheus

Postby Raymond on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Oh, I agree.
Kit has mentioned a fix for the steel shortage, some months it is 100k units being bought from the market....
Maybe if the fix is robust enough, it will hold up to automotive demands. Who knows.

Personally, I think there is as much aluminum as steel in most air conditioners. But making that change would only spread the imbalance out a bit.

I think finishing the PC lines he has started should help relieve the appliance crowding a lot. Most of the crowding is because there is nothing better, profit wise, to build. Even with the crowding.
The computer parts line would get several new items added to it, which should encourage growth in that direction, as well.
Raymond

Previous

Return to Strategy