Getting Started

Discuss Game Strategy Here.

Getting Started

Postby Kit on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:19 am

Here is what I suggest to get Started:

1. Purchase a Food Family Manufacturing License.
  2. Purchase a Small Factory.
  3. Start Two Food production lines (for different food items) in that small factory, it doesn't really matter which ones they all sell in the convenience store. Example: Wine and Bottled Milk.
  4. Use the "Buy" buttons to stock your factories for the first turn, after that they should buy automatically during the turn.
  5. Build a warehouse, add storage for these same two goods.
  6. Wait one turn until you produce one set of goods, these goods should now be in your warehouses.
  7. Now purchase a Convenience Store Manufacturing License, and a Convenience Store.
  8. Add the Same Two goods you are producing in your factories to your store.
  9. Buy goods to fill your store (they should come from your warehouse).
  10. Next turn your factory, store and warehouse should turn a profit.

To increase your profits further still

1. From the help page select Building List.
  2. From the building list select Convenience Store.
  3. Click on the hyperlink on the good items that you don't currently sell in your store. This will give you detailed information about who is selling this good as well as if any supply contracts are offered.
  4. Choose two different goods that have good supplies available, hopefully from at least two other players, write them down or remember them.
  5. Go to your warehouse page, add storage units for these two goods.
  6. Go to your store and add a sales units for each of these goods, select Analyze Market from the store, note
    how many of each good your store will sell each turn.
  7. Go ahead and buy goods from the open market to fill your store's sales unit, you may have to adjust your purchase price higher to buy the goods.
  8. Go back to your warehouse and see if any of these goods shows the green Supply Contracts Offered Button Image then choose it and pick a supply contract that offers approximately the same number of goods that your store requires each turn. A supply contract will allow another player to supply the goods to your warehouse, this is usually cheaper than buying from the market.
  9. You will now be receiving goods every turn into your warehouse for the length of the contract.
  10. If supply contracts are not offered you can request one. To do this select the Supply Contract Button Image.
  11. Fill out the form, request the number of goods per month that your store sells each turn, A good contract length is 2 years which at 1 hour per turn is exactly 1 day of real time. Hopefully someone will accept your contract, if not you can always buy the goods from the open market.

Other Things to Try:

1) Try adding a 2nd pair of sales units to your store for the same two goods.
2) Try adding a 2nd or 3rd Shift to your factories to produce sufficient supplies for your store.
3) Try adding Marketing to your store to increase sales.
4) Add additional Shifts to your factory to produce more goods.

Play around with this a bit for a couple of days while saving cash to build your 2nd factory.

-- Kit
Kit
Site Admin

Re: Getting Started

Postby Kit on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:15 am

I just implemented code to limit new players to the Food and Convenience Store Licenses, others will become available as players progress and the companies net worth increases.

-- Kit
Kit
Site Admin

Postby Wuppin on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Yeah, basically you will create a chain as follows:

Factory --> Warehouse --> Store --> Consumer!

You can make profits at each stage or lose money at each stage. A small factory can only make 2 products and a convenience store can sell a maximum of 4 products. This means that getting a 2nd factory should be a priority. Also, the factories usually make a few more or a few less units than you might want to sell at your store. As Kit has said elsewhere, the Warehouse is sort of a buffer where you can put extra units when production is higher than sales and then use those when the opposite is true. You can also use a warehouse to sell your spare units to other players each turn, or in the form of a contract.

Just as important (especially early), warehouse also allows you to buy products that you cannot produce. Say your factory makes bottled milk and cola but you also want to sell corn flakes and gasoline at your store. Well, put out a request contract for the corn flakes and another for the gasoline. It isn't quite as profitable as making the corn flakes and gasoline yourself but you can still get a few bucks out of the deal! It might also be a little less reliable since you the longest a contract can last is 4 years AND you are depending on another player to have the goods... but Kinnison hasn't disappointed me yet!

As I learned the hard way, if your little "Factory --> Warehouse --> Store --> Consumer" chain gets jammed you can loose fist-fulls of cash overnight. Here is how I got beaten up (there are oh-so-many ways):

1) You don't set the price low enough to sell the units at the store that the factory makes
2) You set the price too low at the store and don't make enough profit to cover the cost of the store itself per month
3)You don't produce enough at the factory to meet the store's demands
4) You mess up the prices and make it so your warehouse cannot buy from your factory or the store cannot buy from the warehouse or
5) You don't set something to "internal only" and buy too much OR get your goods bought out by someone else

Kit has been helpful in making quick suggestions if you send him a message asking why you are so messed up too, so do that often!

Tinkering around with the number of shifts at your factories can help to maximize the efficiency of their production relative to your sales. Playing with the marketing at the store can do the same. It took me quite a while and I am not totally efficient yet... but maybe this will help.

Good luck!
Wuppin

Postby Shad on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi, I just started and I'm having some problems. I don't understand how I'm supposed to get a factory, a warehouse and a store all in the first two turns... I simply didn't start with enough money. I have the factory and warehouse (producing 2 different food products) as well as the convenience store license, but now I'm $400,000 short of the price of the convenience store.
Can you make that much just from selling straight out of the warehouse?
Shad

Postby Morpheus on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Shad wrote:Hi, I just started and I'm having some problems. I don't understand how I'm supposed to get a factory, a warehouse and a store all in the first two turns... I simply didn't start with enough money. I have the factory and warehouse (producing 2 different food products) as well as the convenience store license, but now I'm $400,000 short of the price of the convenience store.
Can you make that much just from selling straight out of the warehouse?

warehouses are a two-edged sword, at least from my pov.

1) they buy from your factory (if you told them to store what u are producing) for a steady price, which helps your factory to make profit.
2) they sell to your stores for the same price as they bought, or a bit above, so the warehouse itself produces a loss most of the time.

if u dont have a store, or dont sell the stored product in the store, then a warehaouse helps you in timing the sale of your goods.
if you want to sell someone a product through a supply contract you NEED a warehouse.

the problem u have is that you started during a prosperity. if you click on "prosperity" on the "home"page (index.php) and scroll down you'll see the consequences, which are higher costs for buildings, but more sales in the stores, and those for higher prices.

but the higher sales cause more companys to buy stuff from the market, because they cant produce the needed amount of stuff, which in turn causes the open market price to rise.

thats where you come into play. sell your stuff on the market.
for this there are some options:

a) you dont have a warehouse and no store:

your factory will sell to the price as shown in the goods info page (click on the good of your choice)

eg: Bottled Milk $1,800
Demand -1%
Market Price $1,831 - $2,093
Change $162 (+9%)

the parts that concerns you is the market price. the first one (1831) is the price your factory will get if it sells directly; the second one is for buying stuff(2093) from the market

b) you have a warehouse

it will buy your milk from the factory for something below or at the base price (the 1800 at the right top)

now you can sell through the warehouse and by doing so you can set a price you want to get. the higher the price the less likely it is to sell all.

c or really b2) you have a warehouse:

but dont want to sell to the market; you look on the good info page for requested supply contracts.

looks like this:

Companies requesting a Supply Contract
Company Units Price Start Duration
phynance upi 18 $1,944 Immediately 1 Year

company is your possible traing partner
units is the amount u HAVE to deliver, or you get penalized
price is the sum he/she is willing to pay per unit
start and duration are clear, i think^^

so your warehouse buy for 1800 but you could sell it for 1944, but remember storing in a warehouse costs some money (700 per month and good i think it was, just for storing)

d or b3) you want to dictate the terms of a supply contract:

here u have to create one, you can play with the units, the price, the starting point, the duration.

important to remember is that failing to deliver for a contract gets penalized. on the other side: if you are supplying someone, but his warehouse is full, u get the money and keep the goods.

summary: over some months you should get enough money to buy a store, but the way to getting money through sale is your choice.
Some people cause happiness WHEREVER they go; others WHENEVER they go

SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!!!
Excellent! Now we're able to attack in all directions...
Morpheus

Postby WaterMonkey314 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:38 pm

Actually, I don't think you keep the goods if the recipient's warehouse is full - they just get sold on the market (possibly for a loss for him).

I personally love warehouses, since you can stock up on cheap stuff when the economy is bad and use it when it's expensive. I just let my stores and factories eat the upkeep.
WaterMonkey314

Postby Shad on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:00 am

I didn't expect such a helpful response... Thank you very much!
I clearly have a lot to learn :D
Shad

Postby Morpheus on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:06 pm

np, but most of us are still trying to get the complete hang of it^^
Some people cause happiness WHEREVER they go; others WHENEVER they go

SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!!!
Excellent! Now we're able to attack in all directions...
Morpheus

Postby Kit on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:46 pm

WaterMonkey314 wrote:Actually, I don't think you keep the goods if the recipient's warehouse is full - they just get sold on the market (possibly for a loss for him).

This is correct. It used to be that you keep the goods, but I fixed that when I added the market that is always willing to buy and sell any good (for a price :).

The penalty for not having enough goods is that you have to buy them at the current market price, and sell them at the contract price.

The penalty for not having enough space in your warehouse is that goods beyond your warehouse capacity are sold on the market immediately.

-- Kit

PS: If the old description is in the documentation let me know where it is and I'll go clean it up. The game has gone through several revisions in the past 9 months and I could well have missed cleaning up the description somewhere.
Kit
Site Admin

Return to Strategy