Automatically Priced Supply Contracts

Re: Automatically Priced Supply Contracts

Postby Morpheus on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:43 am

Kirha wrote:Eh I just didn't think it warranted much discussion. It's reasonably well described and is easy enough to use. Not my favorite, as it seems to defeat the spirit of a contract, but I do think it will have the intended effect of making supply contracts more useable and frequently used.

but its an opinion, how should kit know it if nobody says so?
Some people cause happiness WHEREVER they go; others WHENEVER they go

SIR! We're surrounded by enemies!!!
Excellent! Now we're able to attack in all directions...
Morpheus

Postby Kit on Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Agreed, I'd like to hear feedback both good and bad about new features. They are generally my best guess about what will improve the game, and feedback on how well I'm guessing is important :)

-- Kit
Kit
Site Admin

Postby Marche on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:58 pm

I was just thinking about Supply Contracts:

At the moment, I find it cumbersome to accept Supply Contracts, since you first need to go to your Warehouse, add the product, set the right amount and then return to the Supply Contract once more. Perhaps when you accept a Supply Contract, the product is automatically added to your Warehouse if you have room? This will save me a trip through the whole Warehouse each time.
Marche

Postby Kit on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Hmm, interesting idea.

I'll think about it.

-- Kit
Kit
Site Admin

Postby Morpheus on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:25 am

Marche wrote:I was just thinking about Supply Contracts:

At the moment, I find it cumbersome to accept Supply Contracts, since you first need to go to your Warehouse, add the product, set the right amount and then return to the Supply Contract once more. Perhaps when you accept a Supply Contract, the product is automatically added to your Warehouse if you have room? This will save me a trip through the whole Warehouse each time.

hm, lets see if i understand you correctly.

by set the right amount you mean how many units to warehouse should reserve for that particular good.

if so, your proposal has a downside i think.

if it automatically adds just the units you get from a contract, what do you do if:

a) you upgrade the line needing the supplied good a year later, but with a still running contract? then you have to go round to the warehouse select the good and change the units, or risk the penalty (i forgot what exactly it is)

b) you need more goods than people are capable of providing?

i cant see anyone being able to provide me the 7k circuit boards i need (right now in the panic i still need 5k), so i had to split the amount to contracts of 333 units, which is a lvl 5 line at 3 shifts (and still half of those contract offers expired).

you would need some extra code adding the number of already supplied units to the number you get from your newest contract, and that would have to run again each turn, and change the reserved space accordingly. sometime in the future that might slow down the whole turning due to server capacity.

how about building a seperate warehouse for each good? yeah i know it costs money, but if the 11k hurt you you dont need a huge warehouse anyway....

kit;

how about changing the warehouse list to be similar to the shops?

just change the set marketing to set units, the buy goods button could remain.

Morpheus

Postby Marche on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:59 am

I mean the Warehouse reserves the amount of goods you receive automatically. So let's say I have an empty Warehouse. I see a Supply Contract for 500 Electric Engines. The Warehouse then automatically reserves 500 Electric Engines as soon as I accept that contract. If I accept another 500 Electric Engines contract, the Warehouse adds 500 extra space to it.

a) you upgrade the line needing the supplied good a year later, but with a still running contract? then you have to go round to the warehouse select the good and change the units, or risk the penalty (i forgot what exactly it is)

You mean when it's under construction and you use up zero goods? That still needs to be done in the current situation, so that's no specific downside of my proposal. That's the flexibility you lose when you accept a Contract. I generally solve that by upgrading in stages, allowing supply contracts to continue running. That's an issue when you upgrade your buildings and requires planning.

You only need room for the goods you receive, so I see no issue here. Whether you use up 1000 or 5000, if you receive 500 Electric Engines, you need room for 500 Electric Engines your Warehouse. It doesn't need any code that runs every turn. Only when you click 'Accept Contract' the code runs to reserve room in your Warehouse, so it doesn't bog down turn changes. It doesn't change anything for the one offering the Supply Contract (Although an option to offer multiple contracts might be nice, but that's something else), since you need to make room in your Warehouse before you can make a Supply Contract any way. That would change the whole offering part, which I see no need for.

My proposal only changes the way Accepting a Supply Contract works. Instead of manually having to set the amount in your Warehouse, the contract would automatically do that for you when you click 'Accept'.
Marche

Postby Morpheus on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Marche wrote:
You mean when it's under construction and you use up zero goods? That still needs to be done in the current situation, so that's no specific downside of my proposal. That's the flexibility you lose when you accept a Contract. I generally solve that by upgrading in stages, allowing supply contracts to continue running. That's an issue when you upgrade your buildings and requires planning.

try that with computer lines... 1 bill per upgrade and line isnt that easy to compensate, espacially since the goods seem to be rare on the market =>high prices if you gotta buy them

i agree with you on the planning point, but the economy still plays a role.
Marche wrote:

You only need room for the goods you receive, so I see no issue here. Whether you use up 1000 or 5000, if you receive 500 Electric Engines, you need room for 500 Electric Engines your Warehouse. It doesn't need any code that runs every turn. Only when you click 'Accept Contract' the code runs to reserve room in your Warehouse, so it doesn't bog down turn changes. It doesn't change anything for the one offering the Supply Contract (Although an option to offer multiple contracts might be nice, but that's something else), since you need to make room in your Warehouse before you can make a Supply Contract any way. That would change the whole offering part, which I see no need for.

thats what i said. if you get room just for the stuff you receive, the game has to look each turn how many and which goods you STILL receive during the next turn. otherwise youll end up with reserved room for goods and their units to which the contracts are long over.

i find it more comfortable to set the units to max, so im using a warehouse per good, since sometimes the market price is cheaper than the contracts, at which point i buy loads of it to store, altough with the auto priced things that shouldnt happen anymore^^

Morpheus

Postby imberzionizta on Sun May 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey Kit, I know this post is old, but still its worthy to bring your attention to it.

How about:

A) all business require a contract, single one time buy or regular supply contract 1,2,4,8yrs an so on. --or--

B) it is stated clearly that a supply contract is cheaper, better, more profitable than buying from the market (aka the middleman) ALWAYS.
imberzionizta

Previous

Return to Announcements